What is a Trail Nerd?

A trail nerd is a runner who loathes the pavement, does not let a little bad weather stop them, does not whine, and is always ready to help a fellow trail runner. They originate from Kansas City, then like little seeds, propogate in other areas. Wanna be a nerd? Just join one of our group runs.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Bass Pro Shops Dogwood Canyon 25K / 50K 2009

This was the second year of this race (see last year's post Day 1 and Day 2). This year we were MUCH more organized, and we did not get a jeep stuck, and nobody got lost. We had over 200 participants and everyone finished the course, no DNFs despite the slippery, muddy conditions and a very tough course. Maybe the toughest 50K in the Midwest?


John, Shawn and I worked all day Saturday (well, John showed up a bit late...) and up till about 11 pm that night making sure the trails were in good shape, and well marked. Imagine 3 guys, in an old jeep, running around in the woods, after 10 pm. Conjures up thoughts of high school escapades...

Race day went off without a hitch. And we had some great course and aid station volunteers. With results like 1:42+ on the 25K, and 4:17+ on the 50K, on a tough course, shows the strength of participants we had. My hats off to all the racers, including our last 50K finisher., David Black at 9:36+ who is trying to an Ultra in every state. We joked that it may need to be two laps at Rhode Island... Click here for all the results. Photos were taken by Action Sports Images, and can be found here when they are online.

This year I chose not to run, but to manage on course logistics. It was fun seeing everyone having such a great time. I'm looking forward to the 2010 race already!

3 comments:

Gary Fruland said...

Thanks for working so hard in your old jeep to make a truly tough course. It was especially tough for me since it was my first 50K or ultra. I live in Illinois so the only way I can train for hills is by running in strong wind. I love the Lampe area. Have been going there for 40 years to a cabin off of highway H. Thanks to all the course workers and volunteers. I will definitely be back next year!
Gary Fruland
Newark, Illinois

Marcy said...

I think you actually stopped the jeep and were kind enough to snap a picture of my friend and I. So if that was you Thanks...if not then thanks anyway for helping out I had sooo much fun even if I was super duper slow :)

I do live in ozark mo and would love to get connected to the trail running group...how do i get more info on that??

Amy said...

Yep, I ran with Marcy (above) and there were some super friendly guys in jeeps that roamed around the back of the pack making sure we were alive and in good spirits. Thanks for making us laugh. The race was tough (hills and mud) but fun and beautiful.